Monday, June 1, 2009

ST Ride - ID 3 & P1 a 48 rating


Monday June 1, 2009

Last night I rolled into Trout Creek think of pitching the tent on the RR right of way back a ways. I stopped to get a pint of milk and spotted a ST1300 across the street at a motel. Walking is still an issue but I hobbled over to ask the guys about the rate. Really nice Canadians again. One on a ST1300 another on a Ducati 1000 and two more on Victory's

Emphasis of today's ride was Highway 3 the White Pine Scenic Byway from the Cataldo Mission (left)to Bovill.

At Bovill, I started up the hill toward Elk River... a cool little town as I remember but I was unsure if the road from Elk River to Orofino had been paved. I stopped in the driveway of the nicest guy. Bob Allen came out to the end of his driveway with the most friendly manner. We talked for 45 minutes... imagine that. His hometown is Kendrick, just southwest a bit. He told me to go to Kendrick and at the bottom of the hill turn left and take the P1 over to the Dam (file photo from WeSTOC 2003) and on into Orofino. I rode down to the intersection and took some pictures at the old RR crossing of the wild flowers and Bob's place and his big red barn. His little 44 acre farm was once the dairy. He is selling the place and splitting the property to build a campground up above the house. There is a circle drive that will be perfect. I followed a logging truck full of Cedar logs that reminded me of my Son-in-law who makes Cedar furniture. He'd kill for a load like that. I think Idaho logging marketing needs a new catch phrase - "got wood"?

What a ride.. a canyon of trees initially but more pristine pavement like the north end of hwy 3. A fantastic road has just been completed down into Kendrick. The town has seen better days as many here have in the logging area .

I'd love to fix up this old place in Kendrick, ID. People were very nice here too, I see where Bob gets it. And old couple sitting out on the front porch waved from their main street home. I stopped in the grocery store for my usual chocolate milk... seems I just missed the famous Pioneer Locust Festival... no, I didn't ask.

I didn't turn left as you can tell, but rather rode into town to find the RR depot as there were obviously tracks here at one time. A sad example of what is happening to this once a part of Americana, the Kendrick depot. A nice new campground with the cleanest bathroom I've ever seen... I hated to do do!

Leaving under Bob's advice, I followed a school bus up the 8% grade of P1 and up onto the rolling hills of Idaho. It reminds me of Iowa with the big barns and all the old buildings falling down artistically. One of them was an old house with volunteer yellow roses. A lady knew exactly what I was doing when I stopped to take the photo. Continuing on toward Dvorsack Dam (see WeSTOC 2003 gallery) and up onto a high hill overlooking a Switzerland like valley... beautiful... Bob wasn't kidding.

start of day pics click here

308 miles today - MAP

No comments: